
【英語學習筆記】用自己喜歡的方式學習英文,看影片就是我生活不可缺少的養分,透過影片中的對話跟字幕來記住單字、句子、句構。
演說者:Speaker: Dr. Robert E. Quinn
中英字幕 – 影片來源:Wisdom Bread 智慧麵包
Dr. Robert E.Quinn是密歇根大學教授,這是他在Talks at Google的演講,幽默輕鬆卻不失真情流露,令人動容。
How to Live a Purpose-Driven Life? 為什麼要尋找人生目的?
・Purpose (n.) /ˈpɜː.pəs/ 意圖, 目的, 原因
・Driven (adj.) /ˈdrɪv.ən/ 受到驅策的, 鍥而不捨的, 奮發努力的
Purpose-Driven是什麼意思?
書店內有一本書叫:The Purpose Driven Life 中文翻譯為:標竿人生。 如果單純以 Purpose Driven的直譯可能是“用目的驅策的人生”。
That’s a profoundly important story.
這是一則意義深重的故事
・Profoundly (adv.) /prəˈfaʊnd.li/ 深刻地, 極度地
It’s a story of transformative learning.
這是有關轉化學習的故事
・Transformative (adj.) /trænsˈfɔː.mə.tɪv/ 徹底改觀的, 使大變樣的, 有改造能力的
I once had a daughter. She was single.
我有一個女兒,她當時還單身
She was living in Washington, D.C.
她居住在華盛頓特區
And she had reached that point in life
而她已經到了這個階段
Where she said,
她認為說:
“There’s not a good man left on the earth.”
「這世界沒有一個好男人」
And then she found one
但後來她找到了一個
And she got really excited.
她為此興奮不已
The relationship grew.
關係也發展開來
grow – grew – grown (🔖更多不規則動詞三態變化)
and then, one day, our phone rang,
然後有一天,我們家的電話響起
She’s talking to her mother
從她跟她母親的談話中
and I know what’s going on.
我已經猜到發生什麼事了
This guy just dumped her.
這男人拋棄了她
・Dump (v.) /dʌmp/ 扔下, 丟下
She’s all upset
她很難過
・Upset (adj.) /ʌpˈset/ 使心煩意亂;使難過;使生氣
This daughter is the firstborn child.
我這個女兒是長女
Many firstborn children
很多最年長的孩子
Share a common characteristic.
都有一個共同的特點
・Characteristic (n.) /ˌkær.ək.təˈrɪs.tɪk/ 特色, 特點, 特徵
If they’re miserable,
那就是如果他們過得不好
・Miserable (adj.) /ˈmɪz.ər.ə.bəl/ 痛苦的, 可憐的
They want you to be miserable, too.
他們也不希望你好過
And she said, “I’m coming home this weekend.”
她在電話裡說:「這週末我要回家」
I thought, “Oh, no, no.”
我心想:「噢,不要啊」
Her mother hangs up and says,
她媽媽掛了電話,然後對我說:
・Hang up (phrasal verb) /hæŋʌp/ 掛斷電話
“You’re the father.”
「你是孩子她爸」
“You go to the airport and pick her up.”
「你明天去機場接她」
So the next day I go pick her up.
所以,隔天我就去接她了
She gets in the car
她上了車子
and she doesn’t say hell, how are you.
也沒有跟我打招呼或問好
She says, “That no good birth da-da-da-da.”
開口就是「那傢伙真渣」…沒完沒了的
Five minutes later,
過了五分鐘
She takes a breath and I said,
我趁她喘口氣的時候說:
“Are you problem-solving or purpose-finding?”
「你是在解決問題 還是 尋找人生目的」
She didn’t even hear me.
她根本就沒在聽我說什麼
So we go through that about four times.
我差不多問了四次
We’re finally pulling in the driveway.
後來,我們把車子靠邊停
She takes another breath.
她又喘了一口氣
I say it again.
我把話再說一遍
She says, “What are you talking about?”
她說:「你在說些什麼?」
And she said, “This is the real world.”
然後她說:「這是個現實的世界」
I said, “Well, I think it applies to the real world.”
我說:「我認為這也能適用於現實生活」
・Apply (n.) /əˈplaɪ/
1.(尤指透過書面或表格形式)申請,請求
2.(尤指規章法律)適用,有關,涉及
By then we were in the house,
當我們進到屋內
I pull out a sheet of paper out of my file,
我從文件夾中取出了一張紙
And it says “Robert Quinn, life statement.”
上面寫著:「羅伯特,人生宣言」
・Statement (n.) /ˈsteɪt.mənt/(正式的)說明;聲明;表態
And then she grows kinda quiet,
然後她開始靜了下來
Kinda = Kind of 口語念很快就會產生連音(用於表示不確定)有點兒,有幾分…
and she looks up and says,
她抬頭問我:
“When you feel bad, you read this?”
「你難過的時候,都會讀這張紙嗎?」
I said, “No, when I feel bad, I rewrite it. It’s been rewritten hundreds of times.”
我說:「不,我難過的時候,我會將它重寫,我已經重寫數百次了。」
She said, “Yeah, I can hardly understand some of this stuff.”
她說:「我看不明白裡面的一些內容。」
・Hardly (adv.) /ˈhɑːd.li/ 僅僅, 幾乎不
此單字為「頻率副詞」 (Adverbs of Frequency)
I said, “Yeah, It’s written to a customized audience, one person.”
我說:「是啊,這是寫給專屬的讀者,只有一個人。」
・Customized (adj.) 定製的
・Audience (n.) /ˈɔː.di.əns/ 觀眾, 聽眾, 讀者
Then, the first miracle happened.
接下來,第一個奇蹟發生了
・Miracle (n.) /ˈmɪr.ə.kəl/ 奇跡
She said, “Do you think I could write one of these?”
他說:「你認為我也能寫一份嗎?」
And I said, “I’m sure you can.”
我回答:「我很肯定你也可以。」
She went in the bedroom.
她走進了房間
For a day and a half,
用了一天半的時間
She worked on her life statement.
寫她的人生宣言
The miracle was
而所謂的奇蹟就是
I did not have to suffer during that day and a half.
我在那一天半裡就不必再受苦了
・Suffer (V.) /ˈsʌf.ər/ 1.受苦, 受折磨 2.經歷, 經受, 遭受(壞事)
She got on the plane.
過後她上了飛機
She flew home to D.C.
飛回華盛頓特區
A couple days pass, I get an email.
過了幾天,我收到了一封電郵
A couple days 意思 ( a couple 和 days 之間沒有 of) 可以指兩個,但通常指不確定的幾個
“How’s your work?” (你的工作做得怎麼樣?)
“Nearly done. A couple more days.” (快完成了,再過幾天)
—
・A couple hundred dollars (幾百元)
・A couple weeks later (幾週後)
She said, “He called me.”
她說:「他打了通電話給我」
Oh, this’ll interesting, and she says,
哦,聽起來有點意思
“So I wrote him this letter.”
她說:「我給他寫了這封信」
And I’m reading this letter that she’s attached.
我在讀著的又是她附上的那封信
It’s incredibly vulnerable, open, honest.
寫得很真實、軟弱、敞開心扉
And I’m thinking, “Wow, this is impressive.”
我心想:「寫得真好」
And then at the bottom, it says,
而她在電郵的最後寫著:
“And my roommate said I can’t give this to him.”
「室友說這封信不能給他看」
Now, that’s an interesting thing.
現在,事情變得更有點意思了
Why can’t we give this letter to this guy?
為什麼不能把這封信給那個傢伙?
You don’t tell some guy that dumped you that here’s how you feel,
「你不能把真實感受告訴一個拋棄你的男人啊 」
And then she said,
然後她說
“What my roommates don’t understand is that what he thinks doesn’t matter.”
「我室友不明白的是他怎麼想不重要」
Whoa, wait a minute.
噢,等一下
A few days ago, what he thought caused your life to shatter.
就在前幾天前,他的想法造成你幾乎崩潰
Now, she’s saying
現在她卻說
What he thinks doesn’t matter.
他怎麼想都不重要
What is she saying?
她到底在說些什麼?
She’s saying, this is who I really am.
她所說的是:這才是真正的我
Didn’t know this a while ago.
之前我還不清楚
Now, I know it.
現在我知道了
It doesn’t matter what other people think.
別人怎麼想並不重要
You see, when you clarify your purpose,
一但你清楚自己的人生目的
・Clarify (v.) /ˈklær.ɪ.faɪ/ 澄清, 闡明, 使更清晰易懂
You take back your external locus of control,
你收回你的外部控制點
・Locus (n.) /ˈləʊ.kəs/ 發生地, 關注的焦點, 討論的中心
where you worry about what other people think,
你不再擔心別人的想法
and you take an internal locus.
並選擇了內部控制點
反義字
・External (adj.) /ɪkˈstɜː.nəl/ 外面的, 外表的, 來自外部的
・Internal (adj.) /ɪnˈtɜː.nəl/ 體內的;內部的;國內的
You don’t become insensitive.
你並不會變得冷漠
・Insensitive (adj.) /ɪnˈsen.sɪ.tɪv/ (人或其行為)未意識到(他人感受)的;漠不關心的
You don’t become rebellious.
不會變得抗拒
・Rebellious (adj.) /rɪˈbel.i.əs/ (常使用武力)反叛的,造反的,反抗的
You become centered.
而是變得沈穩
You become powerful.
你變得強大
Now, here’s the interesting thing in the sequel to that story.
而在這個故事的後續還有一件有意思的事
・Sequel (n.) /ˈsiː.kwəl/ (書、電影或戲劇的)續篇,續集
In the next few months,
在接下來的幾個月
She began to be promoted.
她在工作上獲得晉升
begin – began – begun (🔖更多不規則動詞三態變化)
・Promote (v.) /prəˈməʊt/
1. 促進;促銷,推銷;推廣
2. 提升,晉升
Her career turned.
她的事業遇到了轉機
Why?
為什麼?
This was a dating breakup.
這明明只是分手的事
Why is her career taking off?
為什麼她的事業會起飛呢?
・Taking off (phrasal verb) /teɪk ɒf/ 1.起飛 2.突然開始成功, 開始走紅
Because, when you find purpose and meaning in what you’re doing in one area of your life,
因為,當你在人生的某個領域裡找到了自己的目的和意義時
It grows in every area of your life
它也會在其他的領域成長
‘Cause you are one person.
因為你是一個個體
That company had w woman coming in with the same dresses on, body looked the same, but it wan’t the same employee.
那家公司走進了一個穿了同樣衣服的女人,整個人看起來是一樣的,但她已經不是當初那個員工了。
When someone has that meaning and that integrity,
當人們找到了人生意義變得知行合一
・Integrity (n.) /ɪnˈteɡ.rə.ti/ 廉政, 正直, 誠實, 完整
Things start to change.
一切都將變得不一樣
You’ve been shaped by life.
生活塑造了今天的你
You’ve had bad experiences and good experiences.
你有過不好的經歷,也有過好的經歷
And both the had experiences and the good experiences are there to teach you something about you.
而所有這些好與不好的經歷,而所有這些好與不好的經歷,是來教你認識真正的自己
But when we suddenly find a contributive purpose,
當我們忽然找到一個能夠做出貢獻的人生目的時
・Contributive (adj.) /kənˈtrɪb.jə.tɪv/ 貢獻的
Those resources come to the surface.
那些潛在能力將會盡顯在你眼前
・Surface (n.) /ˈsɜː.fɪs/ 表面, 表層, 外層
We begin to change.
我們開始做出改變
In fact, we instantaneously begin to change
事實上,當我們找到人生目的時
FIND YOUR PURPOSE
找出你的人生目的
► 原完整版影片:Dr. Robert Quinn: “How to Live a Purpose-Driven Life” | Talks at Google
🔽延伸閱讀
🔖 台北室內活動有哪些【7個室內景點好去處】不懼大風下雨,不怕炎炎夏日,說走就走! ☜
🔖 享受旅途!好用旅遊平台不可不知,你也是深度旅行的自由玩家(內有平台折扣碼,持續更新☜
🔖年節人氣網購零食【肉乾,肉條,乳酪絲推薦】宅居家,追劇必囤貨☜



🔺可以掃QRcode 或是 點擊下方連結🔻
✅ LINE ID 👉 @imt7605a
✅ Facebook 👉 overflow.do7
✅ Instagram 👉 chestnut_wang
◉ 菲律賓遊學筆記看這裡 ◉
🇵🇭 關於菲律賓遊學 & 行前重點記事
–
🏫 宿霧語言學校 -菲律賓宿霧遊學
–
🏖 宿霧旅遊景點 -菲律賓宿霧旅行筆記
–
🥥 菲律賓宿霧美食 -美食伴手禮